Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Weekend Update

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. I apologize to those of you who want more frequent updates. Please keep calling, it helps keep us on track with this blog; and it's good to hear from you.

This was a busy weekend for me as Jackie caught some kind of bug, so she couldn't be around Grace, and I had the other three kids. Jackie stayed home and the rest of us were at the hospital and Ronald McDonald house trying to keep from getting whetever Jackie had.

So, an update on Grace...

It is frustrating, after stringing along a few good days and forward progress, to reach a plateau. Grace needs to get off of the ventilator so that she can exercise her chest muscles and stomach on her own. She gets down to barely any help from the ventilator and does just fine. But, the instant they try to stop, she stresses out; her blood pressure shoots up, her breathing gets irregular, and they have to put her right back up to higher settings. It was, and continues to be, a roller coaster...

Any time she gets agitated (for just about any reason: being moved in a way she doesn't like, suctioning her tubes, flushing her lines, or not being able to 'watch' Discovery Channel with dad) her CO2 output rises. When this happens they have to 'adjust' the ventilator modes and her amounts to find an equalibrium where she will stabilize. Then the game of slowly reducing her begins again.

She got a new arterial line on Friday. This time in her left foot. It took several tries... so in addition to the large line above her ankle, there are now several bandages around her foot as well. Because of the new line she is responding much better to her medications. The old one was "falling apart" (not really, but one nurse said that it wasn't very useful anymore).

The new central line allowed her to have the IV's removed from her left hand. Which is now black and blue with bruises, scabs from the little pinholes and peeling from her swelling and decrease in fluids. However, now she has the ability to move her little hand and takes great pride in doing so. I like to believe that every time she is raising her tiny fist she is saying "I Rule" ala Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. The kids just think she is looking for a 'high five'.

Grace is now off of all of her continuous feed medications except the blood thinner Heparin. Everything else is just given to her as needed. Mostly she wakes up and is visibly upset with what is going on and the nurses have to sedate her with Morphine.

Her jaundice is much better. They have taken her off of the gallstone medication which was increasing her jaundice.

The people from genetics were in today running tests. I am still trying to find out what the tests where for. I do know that we won't get any results for several weeks.

She is taking 17cc's of food per hour. Her goal is 19cc's. But, just like everything else, she gets so incredibly close and then decides to test all of our patience.

So, all in all, she is doing her part and we're doing ours. The next big hurdle is getting her off of the ventilator. Keep sending your prayers to Grace...

Thank you all again,

David

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Grace continues to amaze me with her progress, and the rest of the family is amazing as well. I'm sure its hard to keep your spirits up but you all seem to be doing a great job. While everyone loves to hear of her progress, the most important thing is that she gets your love and attention as she has been.

Grace is a strong little girl - I wonder where she got that stubborn spirit? ;)

As always, I'm thinking about all of you, and wishing there was some way I could help out. If you need me to come up for anything, all you have to do is call!

Love you all,

Val

Karin said...

What a strong little lady she is. Being the computer genius that I am, I just figured out how easy it was to log onto this blog site and read most of the updates all at once. She is absolutesly and amazing baby and she has sucha wonderful family team to root her on, no wonder she is holding her hand up high , whether it be for a high five or to mark her feat. God is with her and giving her that innocent strength she needs to fight this with a vengence. My kids have now began to pray for her every night as well!

She is so loved!!!

Sherie and Bill Bryan said...

Hey guys,
We just got through the Valentine's Day madhouse and finally had a minute to catch up on the latest updates. I know this must be so heart wrenching for you guys, but Gracie seems to be such a tenacious little fighter, I know you will all get through this and have a happy, happy outcome. We are as always thinking of you and sending all our postive thoughts and prayers your way. I wish I could send hugs too!
We love you guys so stay strong!
All our love,
Sherie, Bill, Willy and Alex